Thursday, March 13, 2014

Ikea PS 1995 Custom Color

I had a red and zebra decor phase when I lived with my parents. There was a red accent wall involved. Red accent wall, and the rest of the walls were light grey, and a zebra bedding set. The design concept I envisioned never fully came together. it never really worked and I never actually finished it. My parents moved out of state last year so I moved in to a 2 bedroom apartment with my boyfriend Keith and his friend James. My parents had to sell their house before they moved and obviously they had to paint the walls to make the house appeal to buyers.

 I have to say was actually pretty glad i didn't have to live with red, black, and white accessories anymore. Everything pretty much just went to live in my storage unit for the last 6 months.. This decor phase was a definite improvement on my high school age, SPONGE BOB room. Yep.. I think there are pictures... somewhere. OK, so with the red room came accessories. and during the 2010-2013 time frame that I liked that motif, zebras became extra popular, and so did the color red. (to be fair i liked red and zebra before it became a theme in popular culture, I had been looking for a red and zebra pair of high heels for yearzzzzzz.. since 2008) Ikea. oh I love Ikea. its like walking into a Hip European space ship. I had the old bright red Ikea PS 1995 clock, it is made of metal, is galvanized or something, has doors that open the wrong way, and a shelf inside. The new YELLOW version on the site says it is mostly made out of this, "Steel,

Anti-corrosive phosphate coating, Pigmented epoxy/polyester"






 My new color scheme is much more mellow than red and zebra.. and I get to decorate an apartment  that has to accommodate two men too. Currently we have a decorative mixture of movie/video game posters, throw pillows, area rugs and Mountain bikes. we are moving at the end of April though so we will get a bigger space and it will hopefully be easy to make it more cohesive.

 The decor color scheme is going to be more jewel toned.. but mainly teal accents. Teal, mint green, and turquoise shades are my favorite. I also love cerulean blue, that color was always my favorite Crayola marker color. So the Ikea PS 1995 red clock is getting spray painted teal.



I took a picture halfway into sanding it.  I sanded the clock a bit to get the color to stick to it and cleaned the dust off with water and a paper towel... I like my projects to be atleast KIND OF done the right way.







After "cleaning" the dust off I primed it with spray primer.




 This was the best. If I wanted to paint something matte white, I would probably just use this Rustoleum 2X Paint + Primer. in Flat white.  I was super excited Spray painting is so easy for me. But apparently spray painting with color is not as easy.


 Now that I am really looking at the can this is actually white spray paint. ha ha. oops.

Either way, I wanted to be sure to tone down the red so the pretty teal color would be as bright as possible.



this is what it looks like wet. and in a box on a rainy day. not the best lighting. 


It took a few coats to cover and it's an awkward piece to paint while it's inside a box. 

don't you just love my glass covering job? i took that off today, and there is red showing where the tape is obviously stuck to the edge, i also realized that the clock face has red around the edge.. 



So I will have to take the tiny bolts off the inside and remove the hands and paper face and spray paint the inside rim, I also want to paint the inside (shelves and door) I cant decide if I want to paint it a different color or if that would be weird looking. I am thinking that it might look pretty in a deep purple. 

Here is the inside





I think it is going to look really nice when i am finished with it. especially when I get the glass cleaned up and the rest of it painted. I will post after pictures when it's finished. 

then once we move i will post an update showing where it is displayed. 


-Whitney 

next project involves the Ikea PJÄTTERYD Zebra Canvas. 




1 comment: